The Borough of Schwenksville is located in the scenic Perkiomen Valley of Western Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. This area was originally settled in the late 17th century. The Borough itself was incorporated on April 6, 1903, and is approx. 0.55 square miles in area.
The Borough was originally part of Perkiomen Township and home to the first copper mine in Pennsylvania. Ice harvesting was a major industry in the area. Several large icehouses were located along the creek, and ice was regularly shipped to Philadelphia. Mills devoted to grain and textiles were also very prominent which is evident by the existing historic structures. Being situated along the Perkiomen Creek made the Borough a great summer resort community during its early existence.
Today the Borough is a residential community with 1,693 residents according to the 2000 census. Commercial and industrial businesses are located along the Main Street corridor. An elementary school, library, post office, and a 6.47 acre park along the Perkiomen Creek inhabit the Borough. It is a gateway to the Perkiomen Trail, providing a wonderful recreation activity for the area.
The Borough of Schwenksville remains committed towards revitalization efforts along with preserving the historical significance to provide a great community to work and live.